It is an obvious observation that one would need a Coop when they have chickens. The chickens have to live somewhere.
No matter how many blogs, book, articles and websites you read people recommend getting a coop BEFORE you get chickens. I read this. Over and over. I did not listen.
In the end this worked out fine for me and my little ladies growing day by day put a fire under this fresh-egg-happy tush. Honestly it is the only reason I got our coop done in the first place!
I had planned to have one when they arrived. Really I did. I looked everywhere for a prefabricated coop that didn’t have HORRIBLE reviews or one that looked even remotely like something I wanted in my yard. I was not willing to spend the money that getting a pretty, prebuilt, not crappy one would cost and I was not willing to have a cheap one.
This left me with one solution. DIY.
I guess I am not NOT handy but I have, up until this project, never used a single power tool with the exception of a screw driver (does that really count though?). I’m sure there is some saying somewhere about necessity being the best motivator… (if you find one send it to me) This is exactly what happened with me.
Of course I found and initially picked the nicest coop that I’ve ever seen, designed (legitimately, on actual plans) by a beautiful and talented interior designer who’s husband builds things. It was GORGEOUS. It had a lovely french feel with beautiful hardware, brick walkways and a fenced in garden etc etc. Check it out here. #dreamcoop. And boy did I dream about it.
I bought the plans, eagerly awaited their arrival and the second they arrived showed them to Matt.
Now my husband is a wonderful man and some day I will get around to doing a post all about him. If this were that post I might mention how he isn’t incredibly handy…. But since this isn’t that post and since he does (*cough* is fully obligated to *cough*) read each and every post I spend my precious time writing. I will leave this at that and get to the point… He wasn’t willing to help. At all. Nope.
After that was made clear, he very nicely pointed out that #dreamcoop might be slightly out of my DIY skill set and after pricing someone else to build it (for six grand! EEK) I found a mega cute coop (See their post about it here) that I liked the look of. I wanted to change a bit of the functionality so I took those pictures and with the help of pinterest designed my own plans, went to work.
I will not sugar coat this. There was blood, sweat and a LOT of tears building this. It took me 3 months to build. COMPLETELY ALONE. I did not have anyone hold a single thing up for me, hammer one nail or put one paintbrush full of paint on this coop besides me, myself and I. I am 100% positive that had I had assistance and if I did not have 3 children this could have been completed in a weekend. Maybe two.
Just a side little note… if you have a deck that is 75 feet from the spot you plan to put your coop. DO NOT BUILD YOUR COOP THERE. It took 6 grown men to move this coop and that was barely enough.
I have to say I feel a bit like wonder woman having accomplished this alone and being able to say I DIT IT! Me. Woot! “No sir that isn’t store bought” “Built that with my own two hands (slurred in a bad cowboy accent)”
Anywho, I also over bought supplies. So. Many. Supplies. But if I take those out and take out my many, many, many hours of labor and the cost to pay the nice men from Home Depot to move it, the total cost for this coop was $752.37
Not too shabby.
My ladies love it and I love it. Thats what matters! Happy hens = plenty of eggs
Be well and be happy!